Packing smart is key to reduce luggage and weight when traveling. Some of the same guidelines apply for one Night Out Essentials for a special night out, and getting dressed away from home, perfect for Bridesmaids, Prom, and other night outs. But what about the Honeymoon? Or, any travel more than a night or two away from home?
I spend at least 1 week a month “on the road” travelling these days. Many years ago that was commonplace, but I find that I am out of practice. Here is my expanded list for more than one night out Travel Essentials.
- Shower & Cosmetics (shower gel, moisturizer, foundation, powder, eye shadow, mascara, lipstick). Pack 3 oz or less travel size containers for airport carry-on bags. Even deodorant can be purchased in the small travel size. I keep samples from Sephora and my salon for this very reason. Last haircut, I mentioned that I had upcoming travel, so my stylist gave me a hand-full of shampoo & conditioner samples for my entire trip! When Bath & Body Works has the big Summer 75% off sale (going on NOW) stock up on travel size shower gels, or keep & refill the small containers.
- Can this luggage survive your trip? Double-check before you pack anything. Make sure the wheels are working, the handles collapse correctly, straps are not worn or in danger of snapping.
- One off clothing items; Pack a light sweater and a pair of jeans or long pants, it might get chilly, even in summer. Pack at least one dress that can be casual night out, or dressed up, just in case for special dinner or night out (knit maxi dresses are perfect).
- Choose your shoes wisely. I will select outfits to reduce the number of shoes I bring with me. If you are like me, you may have 10 pair of black heels, but I try to only pack one pair to save space. Wear heavier, larger shoes on the flight to save space and weight in your luggage.
- Accessories; Much like shoes, try to limit handbags to save space. I switch to a smaller travel handbag/purse that will coordinate with every outfit. Crossbody bags are my go-to solution, even better is they have the option to convert to a clutch for evenings.
- Jewelry is a great way to take an outfit from casual to dressy, so I bring multiple (small) earrings, necklaces, and bracelets to mix & match. A small travel jewelry case should not take up too much space, while keeping your jewelry neat and organized.
Going someplace with shopping potential? Bring a collapsible bag (zipper duffel bags are great) stuffed into your suitcase, then fill with dirty clothes.
Less is more; Unless you have a personal valet while travelling, you will probably be carrying you own luggage so pack light.
Test wear your outfits before packing; Try on outfits that you have not worn in awhile, make sure they still fit, and are free of stains or damage (wear and tear). Plan to wear any new outfits for a “test run” to avoid surprises like rubbing in the wrong place, manufacturing defects, overall comfort, etc.