The last couple years, I have attended several Funeral Services. Death is a natural part of life, and there are some basic courtesies to consider for what to wear at the funeral or memorial service. Here is a short list to help you decide on a respectful and appropriate outfit.
I heard an idea for a Fall Fashion Capsule Wardrobe Style Challenge to pick a few new pieces of clothes and style them with only items from my closet for maximum combinations. Well, I love fashion, and a challenge – count me in! Admittedly, my capsule wardrobe is definitely a work in progress, so this is a great exercise to continue to evaluate my wardrobe and add/remove clothes as necessary. This is my first Style Challenge and it is based on one of my guiding principles of simple, classic pieces that fit and flatter.
If you are new to Capsule Wardrobes and my quest to downsize into one, read this.
Basically, capsule wardrobe is the end result of simplifying your closet to a collection of pieces that maximize your outfit choices. The end goal is to reduce clothes that are ill fitting and unworn, and focus on quality clothes that deserve space in your closet!
I picked my four favorite skirts and one shirt from the LuLaRoe Fall 2016 line, paired with four shirts from my current wardrobe. Each outfit was then paired with one of three pairs of shoes, also from my current wardrobe.
The result? Check out these four skirts paired with clothes already in my closet for over a dozen unique outfit combinations to start wearing for fall and through winter.
LuLaRoe Daisy Maxi skirt paired with a perfectly matching sweater! I was immediately drawn to the daisy skirt, and delighted that one of my favorite sweaters is a perfect match!
Also try it with an Ivory blouse, or black shirt. Paired with boots, heels, or sandals.
- Avoid dresses that require expensive alterations. Long dresses almost always need a hem, multiple layers and large skirts cost more to hem than single layer sheath or column dresses.
- Go Short! Short dresses tend to be less expensive, require fewer alterations, and more likely that the Bridesmaid may be able to re-purpose or wear it again!
One of our favorite shots ever! These colors are on point! Photo: @studiofinch #engagementring #engaged #weddingdress #dreamwedding #diybride #relationshipgoals #bride #wereengaged #gettingmarried #bouquet #weddingflowers #bridalbouquet #weddingphotography #weddingphotos #weddingphoto #weddingideas #peachwedding #coralwedding #barnwedding #bridesmaids #bouquets #bridetobe #ido #shesaidyes #chicagophotographer #chicagowedding #chicagoweddingphotographer #weddingblog #floraldesign #florist
- Pick a color and hem length and let your Bridesmaid pick a unique flattering dress.
- Mismatched Dresses! Pick a hem length and color scheme and avoid the matching dresses. Similar hem length (above the knee, at knee, below the knee) creates a uniform look for Bridesmaids dresses.
#tbt me and my bridesmaids! Can’t wait to see my sister for her bridal shower this weekend. . . . . #bridalparty #bridesmaids #sisters #bestfriend #bouquets #bridesmaidsconfession #bouquet #lace #dresses #budgetbridesmaid #weddingday #happy #beautiful #ladies #instagood #veil #blushing #bride #heels #pose #smile @amandabriscophotography
A photo posted by Theresa Bailey (@bridesmaidsconfession) on
- Separates – Select a couple different skirts and tops for each of your Bridesmaids to choose from in your selected color(s). Each Bridesmaid can choose the skirt and top combination that looks best on their body type, for usually less than a dress!
Stunning separates have started to arrive @thebridalhouseofcornwall…we can build your dream dress right down to the little smallest detail 💕 #bridalseperates #weddingstyle #bridalboutique #truro #cornwall #gottohaveit #weddingdress #bridalfashion
A photo posted by The Bridal House Of Cornwall (@thebridalhouseofcornwall) on
- When buying your Wedding Dress, ask if they offer a discount for your Bridesmaid to purchase from the same store.
- Check out overstock and used options from sites like Wedding-Recycle.com (Great option for one Bridesmaid, or mismatched dresses)
A photo posted by Wedding Recycle (@weddingrecycle) on
- Consider Dress Rental from sites like Rent the Runway
- Let the Bridesmaid wear shoes she already owns. Common colors like black, neutral (nude), silver, or white may already be hiding in your Bridesmaid’s closet.
Your going to be a Bridesmaid! Here are 5 Top Tips For Bridesmaid Dress Shopping.
1. Have an honest discussion with the Bride about budget before dress shopping. Pull her aside quietly, when she is not freaking out, to discuss financial expectations before you agree to be a bridesmaid. You may be able to gently suggest less expensive options for dress and shoes, if necessary. This conversation will help you both plan and reduce the chance of hurt feelings later on.
2. Bring a few different style bras with you. There are different levels of padding, coverage, and adjustable straps or strapless bras. Switching to a different bra may save you money on dress alterations (especially if you are between sizes on a strapless dress). Bring at least 2 different bras for your fitting. I like the convertible strap bras for strapless, halter, one shoulder, or cris cross back dresses.
Leave your sports bra at home. It flattens your chest and you may order or buy the wrong size dress because of uni-boob!
Wedding gowns can be expensive. Add a well-known designer’s name or label as Couture, and these wedding gowns reach a whole new level of expensive. I had no idea what to expect with these high-end Wedding Gowns. I tried on dresses that cost more than my first THREE cars, combined! Sure, I felt pretty. Anyone would feel pretty in those gowns. I just could not justify the price! What was I really getting for a 5-digit price tag? I went to a few more “affordable” designer studios to try on dresses (some styles under $10,000 – what a bargain). Continue reading